Thursday, November 6, 2014

MY STORY ON SHABBA RANKS

90's Shabba Ranks - Still a Major Influence in the Reggae Industry Today





Where do I begin with Shabba Ranks.  I promise to give you a great article on all his many achievements in the music industry, including the records he broke, his influence on other artists and how his music has impacted generations of reggae lovers worldwide.

But this entry is on my story with Shabba Ranks.  Now Shabba is one of my favorite Reggae Artists he's part of the Top 7.  Just in case you're wondering who also has made my list of all time favorites, I will just name a few - well you already know Shabba Ranks is there, Buju Banton, Beenie Man, Capelton, Lone Ranger, Mad Cobra - and I'll stop right there.

Okay so when I was just a little girl in my wee teens (smile) all of my family members knew how much I loved Shabba Ranks.  Well for the first time in the States Shabba Ranks was coming to Queens.  He was performing live at the Legendary Q Club this was in October if my memory serves me right and I wasn't even 16 years of age yet.  Now my sister decided as an early birthday gift to take me to this concert.  I was super excited but was not the legal age to get into an establishment such as the Q.

So we went on Jamaica Avenue to shop for the appropriate I.D. that would show that I was 21 years of age.  After taking care of that and doing some shopping that weekend was one that I would never forget.

When we arrived at the Q Club and of course, successfully passed through security we found a nice spot across from the stage and I waited.  If my memory serves me right DJ Roy was the MC to introduce Shabba.  All I remember is watching him jump across the stage with the mic in his hands and he said "I'm not going to a circus, I'm not going to a fair - " and the rest is history.  I screamed, and screamed and had so much fun watching my A-1 DJ do his thing on the stage and of course doing all of his hits at the time.

That was the best Sweet 16 Gift anyone could have given anyone, but I was the recipient and I have the memories.  Now through out the years working in the Reggae Industry I have seen Shabba and watched him perform live.  Shabba Ranks live performances are energy packed and his moves - so tribal.  He's still a sexy Reggae Icon that holds his own with each performance.  So catching him live is a treat.  Yes there was a time where he took a hiatus so to speak from the industry and when he returned - well it was just GREAT to hear him on the air waves again.  In my opinion, musicians may take a break but they never totally abandon their God given talents.

Now as an adult, and not a 15 year old watching Shabba for the first time.  When I bump into Shabba it's always a pleasure and it's always professional and cordial.  I didn't share with him my story of when I was a bright eyed teenager until last year some time; just in the office away from all the people, bright lights and stage.  Shabba chuckled and said he should have been recording my story.

Shabba Ranks - Rexton Rawlston Fernando Gordon, also holds the title as King of the Dancehall, being one of the most popular artists within his era and as an International Reggae Artist who took Reggae music to mainstream and helped broaden it's horizons.  Simply Said Media gives you a 21 Gun Salute.  Just my way of saying "I'm proud."

Now I promise to give you a then & now about Shabba Ranks and list his groundbreaking achievements as well.  Not today but you know if I am going to give you a story let me at least present the Artist in the best way a writer can.

Till my next entry...

Shabba Ranks & Slim Perfection - @ Irie Jam Studios Winter 2k13



Shabba Ranks & DJ Roy @ Irie Jam Studios Winter 2k13

No comments:

Post a Comment